Wednesday, February 25, 2009

curtain call

One of the things B said in the beginning of last year's production 'DRAGON', was that it would certainly change some of our lives forever. He said he didn't know how or why or when, but that it would. And it did. If it hadn't been for Dragon, we'd never have called B back for BaBaOH. And BaBaOH certainly changed my life forever.

It's almost as if I am a different person now. It's weird in a weird sort of way. I am more self assured, know what I can do and do it, wear short skirts in public, have made snide remarks about P in her very presence, yelled at SB... and for all that I have been through in the last 6 months, have broken down few times. Once when I was not well, once cause A screwed me over for something I didn't knowingly do and the last time was on Saturday morning during tech. I was just sitting there, watching Ambai, watching our months and months of work actually coming together on stage and tears were streaming down my face. Technically, that doesn't count as a break down. They were happy tears :)

I can't begin to list the things I have learnt over these few months. Technical things like lights and sounds and how if the stage dude says 20,000, DON'T BLINDLY TAKE HIS WORD FOR IT, ALWAYS CHECK AND RECHECK and how to hack into accounts, win favours from others... No, I also learnt to work with people, know who can be trusted (penguins) and those who cannot (management), how to deal with people (thanks B) and that yelling does not always get your work done how much ever the culprit wants you to yell and get it over with. I learnt that it maybe unfair (Hell, its RIDICULOUSLY UNFAIR!) that though you work 6 months without a break, you are still expected to come for practice when there is practice, and that you just shouldn't give a damn about gas bags. Don't think my fellow penguin has learnt that yet, though.

I was actually able to sit with Sr C and discuss this production objectively on Monday, and though I did defend it on almost every level, it didn't hurt me when she said Hunchback was a much better production. It might have been, for all I know, but then, how could she know about the happiness over a simple 'yes', the bonds between penguins and their insane ability to cheer each other up and come up with a plausible solution for anything and everything???

Love you guys! My cast, my crew, my director, my penguins and all those others who've been a part of my daughter's wedding. (I HAD to say that! :D )

1 comment:

  1. :) i know i have a long way to go before i become as sane as all of you!

    ReplyDelete